Have you ever thought about how much data exists in the world?
Have you ever thought about how much data is created on an average day?
The statistics are staggering, especially when you consider how far we’ve come in such a short period of time. For example, according to Forbes:
- By 2020, over 6.1 billion smartphone users will exist throughout the world
- By 2020, there will be over 50 billion smart devices developed to collect, analyze and share data
- In 2015, over 1 trillion photos were taken, and billions of them were shared online
- In 2017, over 80 percent of all photos will be taken with smart technology
- Every single minute of the day, over 500 new websites are developed
- We perform more than 40,000 search queries a second on Google alone
- The total volume of data that the industry captures and stores doubles every 1.2 years
What do we do with that much data? How can we possibly use it to our advantage?
Big Data is a concept that seems to be popping up everywhere in the business world, no matter what industry you’re in. Big data can be defined as extremely large data sets that are analyzed computationally to reveal patterns, trends, and associations, especially relating to human behavior and interactions.
The power of big data lies in its ability to drive decisions.
In many industries, such as medical and technology, new research and content are added and updated all the time. Every year on PubMed, for example, more than 25 million references and 1 million biologically focused articles are published and uploaded to the database. As a researcher, in the traditional sense, it could take weeks, even months to find all the relevant data needed to make an informed decision. And by the time you find what you need, more content is added to the pool.
Fortunately, technology has come so far that there is no reason to have manual approaches. Embracing today’s research solutions can provide answers quickly and accurately. Rather than feeling daunted by the barrage of possibilities that exist and are at your disposal, we help you utilize the power of the modern ways to mine, analyze, and manage the vast amounts of resources you have at available to you, right now.